Saturday, October 22, 2011


During my fishing trip, I had learned that the meadow we were in was once a WWII battlefield and that the Soviet soldiers had made a stand there against the German troops.  I wasn’t able to gather the total number of men that fought or what the casualties were, but I learned that Gena’s grandfather was a decorated soldier of WWII from a battle in the Netherlands and they offered to take me into the forest the next day for a tour.  During our morning tour, we hiked up some hills and saw the remnants of the “foxholes” the trenches, command posts of the Soviet soldiers that took the stand, by observation, they certainly had the tactical advantage as they had the higher ground, and the enemy soldiers would have to make it through a pretty nasty bog to get to their position.  The whole area and the sights were extremely fascinating and it was so amazing to walk through this history lesson and see what I’ve only read about in books.  I tried to impress upon Ellie to remember what she saw and did, for in the future when she learns about WWII – she can actually say she walked on a battlefield and climbed into the “foxholes” of one of the countless unknown battles of WWII.

No comments:

Post a Comment